- The types of personal information we collect and hold;
- The methods by which we collect and hold personal information;
- The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information and our authority to do so;
- How we manage personal information collected online;
- Whether we are likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients, and the situations in which we may do so;
- How you may access your personal information or seek the correction of such information; and
- How you may complain about a possible breach by us and how we will deal with your complaint.
- A student;
- An apprentice;
- A parent or guardian;
- A child care provider;
- A principal or teacher;
- An academic or researcher;
- A participant in a program or service delivered by us;
- A contractor, consultant, or supplier of goods or services to us;
- A policy stakeholder who works with us;
- A person whose information may be given to us by a third party, including other agencies;
- A Registered Training Organisation;
- An entrant in a competition conducted by us;
- A current or past employee of the Department; or
- A person seeking employment with us; or
- Any other individual whose personal information we may collect or hold.
Information we collect and why we use it
We are responsible for national policies and programs that help everyone access quality and affordable education; school education; post-school, higher education; international education and academic research, through:
- Efficient national program management;
- Effective working relationships with state and territory governments, non-government education authorities and providers, universities, providers of community groups and other stakeholders;
- Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services; and
Generally, we collect personal information in order to properly and efficiently carry out one or more of our functions. We only use personal information for the purpose(s) for which it was given to us and for directly related purposes (unless otherwise required or authorised by or under law), as consented to by you or if a permitted general situation exists.
Collection of personal information
Where you provide us with your:
- Name and email address and tell us if you are a student, parent or educator of institutions or independent, we will use this personal information for the purpose of sending you a relevant newsletters if any; and
- Email address as part of data collection from School and any means from provided your respective institutions, we will not use your email address other than to allow you to send info related to our modules.
There are inherent risks associated with the transmission of information over the internet, including via email. You should be aware of this when sending personal information to us via email or via our website or social media platforms. If this is of concern to you then you may use other methods of communication with us, such as post, or telephone (although these also have risks associated with them).
We only record your email address when you send a message to us or subscribe to one of our mailing lists. Any personal information, including email addresses, will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which it was provided to us.
No attempt is made to identify you through your browsing other than in exceptional circumstances, such as an investigation into the improper use of the website.
If you think we may have breached your privacy you may contact us to make a complaint using the contact details below. In order to ensure that we fully understand the nature of your complaint and the outcome you are seeking, we prefer that you make your complaint in writing. Please see our contact details below at ‘Contact us’.
If you have any enquiries or complaints about privacy, or if you wish to access or correct your personal information, please email us at email@example.com or write to:
Privacy Contact Officer
Last updated: 23 September 2017